Lucas County was named after Robert Lucas, 12th governor of Ohio , in 1835 during his second term. This provoked the Toledo War conflict with the Michigan Territory . History of Lucas County goes back to when the first session of the Commissioners of the County was held at Toledo on September 14, 1835 . John Baldwin and Robert Gower were present, the third member (Cyrus Holloway) was absent. Samuel M. Young acted as Clerk of the Board. The following appointments were made : County Auditor , Samuel M. Young, of Maumee ; Treasurer, Eli Hubbard, of Port Lawrence ; Recorder, Frederick Wright, of Port Lawrence. The first township following these appointments war formed and was named Lucas. It consisted of the territory lying North of the " Fulton line," and West of the East line of Range four East, being the territory then in dispute between Ohio and Michigan .
On March 1837 petitions were presented for five new Townships, which were not acted on. A survey was ordered for a road to extend from the Northern termination of Monroe street, Toledo, to the intersection of the Indiana Road with the Turnpike leading from Maumee to Monroe, with Coleman I. Keeler, Jr., Mareno Fox and John T. Baldwin as Superintendents. After several years of disputes the townships where advertised for sale as "forfeited" for non-payment of taxes.
Lucas City was laid out in the Spring of 1836. The first announcement of its existence consisted of the following advertisement, which appeared in the Toledo Gazette:
“The undersigned offer for sale about 1,500 lots on this important site. It stands at the mouth of the Maumee River , near its junction with Lake Erie . The back country is wide and rich, and the channel which passes has been acknowledged by experienced navigators to be deep and broad enough for vessels of the largest tonnage. The establishment of Roads and Canals, as well as other public works, which are projected within its neighborhood, gives it extraordinary and marked advantages. The public attention seems to be directed to this important point, as the great outlet of the West; and this fact tends to render it an important object to the speculator or actual settler.”